Friday, June 18, 2010

Lots of Pictures

Another gorgeous day. Up and at ‘em. We started working on the coach and that lasted until 1:20. We were famished, sore and stinky. Into a cool shower and into the Jeep for a ride to Lambertville for some more Xylol/Xylene – just ONE more can should get us finished. After picking that up at our favorite hardware store, Finkles, we headed over to the Delaware (about 150 feet) and had lunch at the Station Pub. The city of Lambertville was the colonial river crossing village of Coryell’s Ferry. On June 20-22, 1778, the Grand Continental Army crossed the Delaware River from Pennsylvania and camped here under the command of Gen. Washington enroute to the battle at Monmouth, NJ.
We crossed the Delaware River, too, on this day, June 18, 2010, 232 years later watching a family of ducks swimming upstream, and some sunning turtles. Can you see the fish pools? There is a fish in each circle, continually swishing their tails to keep the nest clean for their babies.

In June 1834, the opening of the canal was celebrated with a barge ride from Trenton to Lambertville. The canal's completion was not without hardship. 4,000 Irish immigrants were hired to dig the canal with pick and shovel. During the construction an epidemic of cholera broke out and dozens of men were buried along the banks of the canal and the Delaware River.
Since the 1800s, Lambertville, due to its proximity to the canal and the (now defunct) United New Jersey Railroad and Canal Company, became a factory town where the range of products produced went from underwear to rubber bands. After the introduction of the automobile (and of course trucks) made the canals and, ultimately, the railroad obsolete, the factories shut down, one by one.
In the 1970s, young people who had grown up in Lambertville but left to make their fortunes returned with a mission—to re-energize their home town. Ultimately, pioneers like the Jonsdottir art gallery, Hamilton Grill (still the city's most renowned restaurant) and the Lambertville Station eatery (a hotel soon followed), the city began to attract artists and other creative types. These days, much of its 18th and 19th century flavor remains—particularly in its houses, many of which have been restored. They are absolutely charming.

The food, and locally-made beer, was delicious. Gary said his Cuban sandwich could rival Miami’s. Whoa, that says a LOT! I had a veggie wrap and the best homemade potato chips ever. This beautiful dog was sitting quietly until someone gave him a huge pig ear to chew on, then he was rolling around in ecstasy.

On the spur of the moment riding home, we took a turn onto a tiny road. It was only about 12 feet across, and what did we meet? A school bus! Fortunately we were in the Jeep, not the Motorhome, or that bus would have had to back up until it found a driveway. I don’t know what happens when it snows heavily around here. I have to ask my brother. It happened this past winter, somewhere around 2 ½ feet in one night, so I’m curious if everyone just stays holed up until someone digs them out.

We also watched a deer cross the road in front of us, then wait patiently for me to take her picture.
Last night, a sliver moon was out along with the fireflies, Tasha was prowling, Bob was fixing the brakes on the Model T with Molly in her favorite pickup truckand the sun was kissing the tops of the trees goodnight. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment