Tuesday, July 20, 2010


Sunday and Monday were work-around-the-campground days. Bob moved stone to park his trailer in the back, cut limbs off the tree overhanging the garage, Gary cut up more steel frames and I made out a shopping list.

I am so sore today. I shoveled dirt, climbed ladders, moved branches and tended our new campfire! It’s a little farther away from the coach than we would like, but it’s a little bigger than we need, too. We started it with a propane torch attached to a tank, and it was rip-roaring in 2 minutes. We threw some tree trunks and limbs on it, but kept it cool so no sparks would fly up into the trees and we could keep it safely contained. I had to leave to make dinner, but after mussels and spaghetti, Gary and I went back out to sit by our first campfire since North Bend SP in Virginia sometime in April. There’s something mesmerizing about watching a fire burn. Soon we heard thunder, and the wind kicked up, so we scattered and secured the dying fire, and took our campchairs back up the hill and called it a night.
In the local newspaper, a person we know was on the front page! This will be Gary’s Dr. Greenberg and the machine that is used to treat Gary’s spot. They have used this machine in Florida for a while, and probably Gary will be able to train these guys on how to operate it. Now, if they would just call

Everyone likes to have something to look forward to. When I lived in Toronto, it was our annual Florida trip during spring break. And then it was summer. And then it was the kids going back to school, and then it was starting a new job, moving, etc. But now there are small things. Like being able to get out of bed in the morning; that first cup of Chocolate Velvet coffee with half and half; and then big things like the Balloon Festival this weekend!

This will be the 28th year for the Festival at Solberg Airport in Readington, NJ (the largest summertime hot air balloon and music festival in North America!) The town will swell from about 16,000 people to over 175,000 in three days. I have always wanted a trip in a balloon. In 2006 I convinced Gary to go ballooning in Arizona (he was not thrilled to go up, but wouldn’t let me go alone), but after getting up at 4 am for an hour’s drive to the launch location, it was cancelled because of lightening. So we rescheduled for a later date. I could tell he was still nervous, so instead of going up, we went out for a drive and bought a Jeep Wrangler (Mesa). Now I ask you, remember I always say “there is a reason”? Looking back, it wasn’t just an impulse purchase. Something deep inside persuaded us that we absolutely needed that jeep. We didn’t need it then, but we need it now as it turned out to be one of the best tow vehicles for a motorhome. Who knew?

In between all this, I managed to take some nature photos. Our view out the window is constantly changing, and this is what it looks like now:These are some shots of things around our campground.

And that's just another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment