Monday, September 5, 2011

Lee is Coming Our Way

Amazingly, Gary agreed to play golf with the boys this morning leaving at 6:45 am.  After the storm yesterday, I was curious to know if the course was messy with leaves and branches, but the answer was no, it was fine.  He played well, but there was an 'altercation' on the course which lead to an incredible event.  It happened like this:  the CG Manager, Billy,  hit his ball.  Another team, coming the other way on the next hole, hit their ball.  It bounced close to Billy's.  As Billy was walking to his ball, the other player was getting ready to hit Billy's ball.  Billy yelled that it was his ball, but the man refused to look at it, said it was his, and hit it.  That made Billy mad.  He found the man's ball a couple yards away, picked it up and tossed it to him.  The man apologized, and they went on their way.  Then after all four guys hit their balls and were moving to the hole, the man's golf cart comes tearing up to them, the man throws the ball at Bilyl, hitting his ankle, and Billy threw his club at the golf cart.  Words were exchanged, but they parted without further incident. 

By the time Billy got back to the campground, he was still fuming.  And that was when things fell into place.  He fired one of the people in the office who had been doing a terrible job and that opened an employee spot.   

I did some cleaning until 11 when Donna and I drove to Dollywood to work together.  We didn't know how bad the traffic would be so left an hour early.  Of course, it only took 15 minutes to get there, so we hung out on a bench and people-watched for a while.  I love to people-watch. 

We expected it to rain as Lee was coming our way, but it only sprinkled a couple times.  I finally closed at eight with a headache due mostly to the falling barometer.  I sent a mental message to my honey to make breakfast for dinner, and sure enough, when I walked in the door I could smell eggs and toast!  It is amazing that we can do that.  We do it all the time. 

I threw a couple asprin down and cuddled with my hubby as the rain began.  It is very soothing to sleep with the sound of the rain on the roof (as long as it isn't hail).  Before we knew it we were asleep (after I set the alarm (yuck) for work on Monday).

It was raining when I got to work but it was busy all day, some people wanting to stay another day and others leaving  After lunch the owner came in and chatted. I convinced her to think about hiring our friend Ron. Later, she called Billy and they agreed to meet with him. Ron, Donna and Gary were out getting groceries, and I called them with the good news. When they got back, Ron and Billy came up to the office, he was hired to work on Wednesdays and Sundays, and they shook hands. Ron and Donna are how happy campers.

A creek runs along two sides of the campground, and it has been known to flood seriously - like the entire campground.  The depth of the water can be over the pool fence.  Yikes.  We began to make a list of open sites up out of the way of flooding, and Billy had a marked stick that he measured the creek with on an hourly basis.  It rained steady all day, sometimes heavy and sometimes lightly.  People were getting nervous around 5 pm as they were watching the water get higher and swifter and muddier. 

Around nine pm, we began moving those closest to the early flood zone, as once the water crested the banks, it would be 30 minutes until it reached the lowest RV.  Yikes again.  It rained until after we went to sleep and I had nightmares about our coach being under water.  We were not in an early flood zone, but if there was any chance of it reaching us, we would pull up stakes and roll on out ASAP.  I had a view of the creek's first flood zone from my bedroom window, and there was a street light near it.  I kept a sharp eye out looking for reflections of water rippling out there.  It was supposed to rain Tuesday as well, so we said a little prayer before falling asleep. 

I can hardly wait to see what it looks like tomorrow morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment