Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Day's Delay

Friday Gary and Ron rode over to Knoxville's Sam's Club to get a nail our of our Jeep tire.  They rotated them, too.  In the evening we had a wonderful dinner with Brenda and Larry.  While the guys stood around the BBQ with beers in hand, the girls sat on the porch and admired the view for the last time this year. 

Soon the sun was setting, and we went inside for chicken, dogs and burgers.  Delicious.

We wandered home around hairpin turns and steep declines to level ground and were home 10 minutes later.  Donna had to get up early to get some work done and then go to work for her next to last day of Dollywood.

Glorious weather (except for the gnats) meant finishing up the windows on Saturday, but Gary and Ron hit the flea market and found just what I wanted  - an old type oil can.  You'll see what I want that for later, too.  When Donna got home, we had some nachos at our place still planning to leave on Monday after we turned in our Dollywood costumes in the morning.

Sunday we were still puttering around cleaning out the bays and when Donna got home we decided to have a last supper at Joe's Crab Shack.  This was around 8:15 and the place was still hopping with people.  In between their duties of taking orders and bringing food, they had to line dance.  That was fun to watch.  Then our waitress came over and put bibs on Gary and me.  In case you can't read the fine print, Gary's says:  'She stole my crabs'    and mine says  'He gave me crabs' (thus the face)

We had a big pot of snow crab legs, shrimp, andouille sausage, two ears of corn and 4 potatoes.  Well, that was a surprise, as we were going to share the pot for one person.  Yikes.  Of course we couldn't eat all that good stuff, so we took home a fish bag.  It was one happy place!

At 7:30 am on Monday morning, Donna called.  We were up because we had planned to return our costumes before we both left for Raleigh.  BUT when we looked outside at their trailer, the whole front end was on the ground.  That's what she called about.  At 5:45 am, the front jacks collapsed!  They were OK, mostly because they were in bed, not standing or in the shower where they could have been hurt.  Neighbors came around and offered advice.  They called Jeff's RV Repair and he wasn't sure what it was.  They finally got it up high enough to hitch up to the truck to take it to Bull's Gap off 81.  And they have been there ever since.

We stayed with them until they left, stayed over and left Tuesday morning.  A perfect day and a perfect drive to Freightliner in Gaffney, SC where we parked overnight.  The whole lot was full, but there was ONE space left.  Phew. 

We unhitched the Jeep, but her battery was dead.  The guys there heard the clickclickclick and offered a jump.  She started right up and we let her run for a while.  Later we went to Applebees for dinner.  No problem.  Wierd.

Today we woke up early, got hitched and had a bumpy ride through miles of construction on Rte. 85 making a stop for lunch.   Great highway into Raleigh where we found the Fairgrounds and Marshall, a good friend of Gary's from his days of work at the SBI.  Marshall likes to chat, but we went to start the Jeep after unhitching and the battery was dead again.  What???  Since Marshall couldn't use the Security vehicle to jump us, he went to get his truck, backed it up, hooked up the cables, and instant start.  I think it has something to do with the connection between the coach and the Jeep.  Help?

Anyhow, we drove the Jeep over to the CG behind the Horse Stables, and chose a relatively level spot.  These gravel sites are in rows, with plenty of grass, 50A FHU for $25.00 a night - check or cash.  Here we are:

Tomorrow, hopefully Donna and Ron get their rig fixed and will be on their way and we will be spending some time with our grandson, Jack and his sister, Ainsley. 

Now it's time to relax.  Ahhhh, home again.  Life is Good.

No comments:

Post a Comment