Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Coming Home

Sunday I arrived at the hospital to find Gary in good spirits, but bored.  He was still receiving round the clock antibiotics and warfarin (yes, rat poison).  There wasn't a whole lot of improvement, so by Monday he asked about getting out.  His doctor agreed as long as we agreed to use Lovenox (injections into his tummy) to hurry the blood thinning.  That was a new experience for me, but it wasn't difficult.  He was very brave even though my hands were shaking just a little. 

Discharge is a lengthy procedure, so it was 6:30 when we left the hospital.  A stop at Walmart to pick up drugs, and off to home where Ron was picking up pizza for all of us.  Donna was not feeling well, so they decided to eat in their place and then she'd put on a mask to come and visit.  We visited about an hour and 1/2 and then Gary's yawns gave the signal to head home.

Tuesday dawned bright and beautiful, but we slept in a little.  Donna and Ron went to see a production of Fiddler on the Roof with friends for the day, so we decided to start our engine and let it run to get the oil and diesel circulating and mess around sorting, cleaning and thinking about things in general.

There's lots to think about as fulltimers in general.  But with health challenges, it is even more think-provoking.  I'm not sure if most fulltimers have lots of freedom to go and do whatever whenever, but right now, we are tied to medical schedules and Doctor schedules.  Not what we planned when we started out 19 months ago.  It has been a sure test of our resolve to have this lifestyle.  We were, I'm pleased to say, smart not to give up our house.  If we need to stay in Florida for a while or forever, we can do that.  But I'd be just as happy to park our motorhome for an extended time and live in it.  We figure that we don't need anything a house can give us that we don't have in our motorhome.  But time will tell, and at least we have a choice.

Wednesday I made pancakes for breakfast which were not only delicious, but gave me energy to get up on our roof to get the last of the leaves off the slide toppers and from around the heat pumps/air conditioners.  The roof is really filthy and needs a good scrubbing, but no time today.  Donna came over and we talked about the scarf I am knitting for her.  It's pretty, but the yarn is too heavy for her taste.  We looked up some yarn stores in the area.  Terri's Yarn & Crafts store was just up at Dollywood Parkway, but had more craft items than yarn.  While Donna was looking up Butler Street, I drove over to JoAnne's and we found a pretty sock weight yarn that we're going to try. 

Tonight we have plans to run over to the Brewery for their fabulous hamburger special then watch the CMA show while line dancing.  We'll let you know how that works out.  Yee ha!


  1. Glad to hear that Gary got to come home. Sure hope he gets well soon. Don't give up on your dream. Sure miss you guys. Keep posting so we can follow Gary's full recvoery. We will be praying for you both. Let us know if you get to Florida, we would love to see you.

    John adn Terri

  2. so glad to hear that Gary got out of the hospital....I pray for a quick recovery from this latest challenge...your strength amazes me are in our thoughts and prayers...